Information on foreclosures
Automatic victim alerts

Frequently asked questions
Please look through this list to learn more about our department and services. If you find that your question is not answered here, please feel free to email Undersheriff Sean Holmes.

Should I file a report?
Any time something occurs to your property or you personally, you should let us know. Please don't feel what happened is insignificant or doesn't matter to us. We review every report to learn valuable information about crime trends, possible suspects, and methods used. We use this data to increase or target our patrols and resolve cases through additional investigation. For our department to be most effective, we need good information to use. So, yes, please file a report, either online or by calling (574) 533-4151.

How can I keep from being a victim again?
You can prepare yourself by taking a self-defense class taught by our department. You can learn more to keep your personal information safe and secure by reading our identity theft publication. You can make sure your vehicles, doors and windows are locked and your valuables are not in view. You can become a member of our community policing team, watching out for your neighbors, as well. And you can join the conversation at Facebook.

How do you decide what goes on the inmate information page? What if it's wrong?
The information presented in the database is public record, protected by Indiana Code 5-14-3. The information is based on the prelminary charges faced by the person under arrest - it cannot take into account any verdict, dismissal of charges, or final outcome. Those records are maintained by the court with jurisdiction. We will repair any factual errors in the database; simply notify us a change is requested and we will research it. We cannot remove records or change charges contained in the file without a judge's order. Also, the booking history indicates dates each time a person was booked into the facility - it is possible an individual may have been booked several times on one charge, depending on the type of case, transportation between facilities, or posting of bond.

I have a problem in my neighborhood. What should I do?
Hopefully, you're organized as one of the community groups we work with on a regular basis. If not, learn more about our community policing initiative. You can communicate directly with an officer to resolve issues before they become criminal concerns, or the officer can connect you with the proper government office for resolution. Contact Capt. Bradberry for more information on our community policing effort.

Another option is to submit a tip via our online tip form or by texting "ECSDtip" and your tip to Tip411 (847411). This option is completely anonymous. Sheriff's deputies responsible for your neighborhood will get the information regarding the problem and be able to respond to it. Please do not use the tip form or Tip411 if you have an emergency; call 911 instead.