The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) is a federal law that prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual assaults and sexual misconduct in correctional institutions and community corrections settings. The Elkhart County Correctional Complex is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and inmates.
- The Elkhart County Correctional Complex has zero tolerance for sexual assault or abuse of any person or sexual relationships between staff and inmates.
- Sexual misconduct includes sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual harassment and consensual acts.
- Employees, contract staff, volunteers and vendors who engage in sexual contact or sexual misconduct with inmates will be referred for criminal prosecution when applicable.
How to Report Institutional Sexual Assault and/or Staff Sexual Misconduct
If you have information regarding an Elkhart County Correctional Complex Inmate who has been sexually assaulted while in custody, you can report directly to the Corrections Investigator at (574) 891-2161. You may also call the South Bend Family Justice Center, S-O-S program at 574-289-4357. It is critical that you provide as many details as possible. This includes:
- The name(s) and locations of persons involved
- The name(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
- Booking number (if an Inmate)
- A brief description of the incident(s)
- A brief description of where the event(s) occurred
- The date(s), time and place of occurrence(s)
- Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident
- Your contact phone number and address
The Elkhart County Correctional Complex investigates all allegations of inmate–on–inmate sexual assaults and staff sexual misconduct. The department will discipline and, when appropriate, refer for prosecution individuals determined to be perpetrators of such conduct.
Reporting Information for Inmates
Inmates incarcerated in our facility are urged to report allegations of rape, sexual contact or staff sexual misconduct to the tip line at 555-1234 or the South Bend Family Justice Center, S-O-S program 24-hour crisis hotline at 574-289-4357 from any jail inmate phone. Both are free calls. Inmates can also report by submitting information on the kiosk, a grievance, telling any staff member, their attorney or asking a family member or friend to call the Family Justice Center, S-O-S hotline.