Sending mail to the corrections facility
Items sent to inmates must have the name and jail identification number written or printed on it. Acceptable items for inmates are letters and completed money orders. The facility's mailing address is the Elkhart County Corrections Center, 26861 C.R. 26, Elkhart, IN 46517.
Beginning August 27, 2015, greeting cards will no longer be allowed into the housing units. All greeting cards will be rejected and placed into inmate property if they have already been processed. If it is discovered that the mail is a greeting card prior to processing, it will be returned to the sender.
Legal correspondence marked "attorney-client mail" is considered privileged and will be opened in the presence of the inmate. All mail that is not privileged will be opened by corrections officers and inspected for contraband.
Subscriptions to magazines and newspapers must be sent by the publisher and delivered via the U.S. Postal Service. New books must be mailed directly from the publisher and used books may be purchased at the approved reseller — The Bookworm, 707 Bower St., Elkhart.
All items will be subject to screening, and pornographic or other unacceptable correspondence will not be permitted.
Please include the complete first and last name of the person you are sending mail. You must also list a complete first and last name with a return address on all mailings to the Elkhart County Sheriff's Department. Address labels and stickers are not accepted. Mail with adress labels or stickers will be returned to the sender.
No mail service will be provided on Sundays, holidays, or during emergencies within the facility.
The following is a list of mail items that will be rejected:
- The entire letter due to not having a FULL return name or FULL return address
- The entire letter due to an unknown substance on the letter (perfume, etc)
- Items containing nudity
- Polaroid Pictures
- Greeting Cards
- Items containing security issues and criminal conduct
- Items that have glitter, glue, or tape on them
- Books not sent by a publisher
- Items that contain tattooing instructions or designs
- Prohibited property and/or contraband
- Any other item not mentioned that poses a risk to the safety and security of the facility