Sending mail to the corrections facility
Beginning October 1, inmates will no longer receive their non-legal and non-commercial mail at the Elkhart County Correctional Facility. Inmate mail needs to be sent to:
JailATM.com- Elkhart County Jail
Inmate Id: Inmates full name
2043 South Bend Ave Box #309
South Bend, IN 46637
All non-legal and non-commercial mail sent to the address given will be processed by the mail scanning vendor and delivered to the inmate electronically via kiosks or tablets, and the original mail item will be destroyed.
The inmate name and ID number must be clearly printed on the outside of the envelope or postcard. Failure to include this information could result in lost or misdirected mail. Electronic correspondence, including picture attachments, can also be sent immediately at www.jailATM.com. To find the inmate ID number, go to http://www.elkhartcountysheriff.com/divisions/corrections/inmate-lookup/.
Normal mail rules still apply and content violations may prevent delivery of the item to the inmate. Prohibited materials include:
- Racy or pornographic pictures
- Pictures or descriptions of illegal activities
- Pictures or descriptions of the use or manufacture of firearms, explosives, or other weapons
- Drugs or biohazards on the envelope or contents
- Threatening or violent content
All legal and commercial mail should continue to be sent to the facility directly. Items sent to inmates must have the name and jail identification number written or printed on it. Letters are the only acceptable item for inmates to receive. The facility's mailing address is the Elkhart County Corrections Center, 26861 C.R. 26, Elkhart, IN 46517.
Legal correspondence marked "attorney-client mail" is considered privileged and will be opened in the presence of the inmate.
Subscriptions to magazines and newspapers must be sent by the publisher and delivered via the U.S. Postal Service. New books must be mailed directly from the publisher.
All items will be subject to screening, and pornographic or other unacceptable correspondence will not be permitted.
Please include the complete first and last name of the person you are sending mail. You must also list a complete first and last name with a return address on all mailings to the Elkhart County Sheriff's Office. Address labels and stickers are not accepted. Mail with adress labels or stickers will be returned to the sender.
No mail service will be provided on Sundays, holidays, or during emergencies within the facility.
The following is a list of mail items that will be rejected:
- The entire letter due to not having a FULL return name or FULL return address
- The entire letter due to an unknown substance on the letter (perfume, etc)
- Items containing nudity
- Polaroid Pictures
- Greeting Cards
- Items containing security issues and criminal conduct
- Items that have glitter, glue, or tape on them
- Books not sent by a publisher
- Items that contain tattooing instructions or designs
- Prohibited property and/or contraband
- Any other item not mentioned that poses a risk to the safety and security of the facility