Criminal History Report
General information to obtain police records
The records division of the Elkhart County Sheriff's Office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Due to the time necessary for processing, requests for fingerprints and handgun permits (online application available) must be initiated by 3:30 p.m.
Questions about the availability of records or ways to obtain information should be directed to Capt. Michael Culp.
The records division accepts cash payments, checks, money orders and credit or debit cards. Checks and money orders must be made out to the Elkhart County Sheriff's Office. (crash reports may be purchased through the state's designated website, buycrash.com).
The current schedule of charges at the records counter is:
- Crash report — $5
- Criminal incident report — $3
- Fingerprint card — $10
- Gun permit (four years) — $10, in addition to fees charged by the state
- Gun permit (lifetime with current permit) — $40, in addition to fees charged by the state
- Gun permit (lifetime without current permit) — $50, in addition to fees charged by the state
- Limited criminal history report — $3
- Returned check fee — $20